Feb 28 strike: Mamata takes apparent swipe at Cong
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee on Saturday took an apparent swipe at a section of
the Congress in the state without naming the party over the
February 28 general strike.
"I have seen that some people tend to raise a hue and
cry over a petty matter. They don`t want people to live in
peace. This section of people had their heydays during CPI(M)
regime," Banerjee told a gathering of unorganised labour at
Salt Lake stadium.
Yesterday, WBPCC and state INTUC chief Pradip
Bhattacharjee had said he would not support a general strike
on February 28, but an industrial strike.
The Congress has said that it would oppose the strike,
unlike ally Trinamool Congress which has stated it would be on
the streets against the shutdown.
"There are a few persons who were agents of the CPI(M)
for the last 35 years. We will not encourage them anymore,"
"Those who provoke, will be considered a plotter.
Those who encourage conspirators are also conspirators. These
people were quiet during the CPI(M) regime," she said.
"It is this section of the people who kept their eyes
closed during the atrocities over land acquisition at Singur,
Nandigram and Netai," Banerjee said.
"We will not allow anyone to play the band of CPI(M)
anymore. We will be playing the band of Ma, Mati and Manush,"
Assuring that her government was committed to deliver,
the chief minister said "people are living in peace in our
state. They have regained their rights. This may be causing
discomfort to a small section of the people."
In a reference to the incident at Dewandighi in
Burdwan in which two CPI(M) local leaders were killed, she
said "we won`t allow politics of village recaptured."
Urging workers and employees to turn up for work on
February 28, she said "I would like to urge you not to allow
anyone to strike work or put up road blockades. Don`t fall
into the trap of provocations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read