Four held with smuggled gold at Kolkata airport
Kolkata: Four people were detained and 608 grams of gold worth Rs.17 lakh was seized from them at the airport here Thursday, an official said.
"Four people hailing from south India who had boarded a flight from Bangkok have been detained and we have seized 608 grams of gold from them. Since the haul is below Rs.20 lakh, they will not be arrested," Assistant Commissioner of Customs R.S Meena said.
Earlier in the week, five people were held and gold worth over Rs.1 crore was seized at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport.
While two persons were nabbed and 4.2 kg of gold worth Rs.1.30 crore was seized Wednesday, customs officials detained three others for illegally carrying gold bars worth Rs.25 lakh Monday night.
Four Nepali nationals were detained and gold worth over Rs.15 lakh seized from them at Bagdogra airport in Darjeeling district Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal