Girl gang-raped in WB, vehicles set afire by locals
Ranigunj: A minor girl was gang-raped here on her way back on school leading to violent protests by locals who set on fire three vehicles and damaged at least 30 others, including one belonging to the police, demanding that two youths who were allegedly involved in the crime be handed to them.
Asansol-Durgapur Police Commissioner Ajay Nanda said police had to resort to lathicharge as the huge contingent of personnel and RAF that rushed to the site at Sastigoria could not contain the situation.
A police driver was injured in the violence, he said adding eight people were arrested in connection with it and police picket was posted in the area in view of the tension.
Trouble started when the standard eight girl was forcibly taken away to a nearby place by two youths while she was on her way back from school yesterday and allegedly raped.
The girl reported the incident to her family after her return.
Following this, the family and its neighbours went to the local police station to file a complaint, which the police allegedly refused to entertain.
They blockaded NH 60 from 11 pm to 3 am today in protest and lifted it when the police arrested the two youths in the early hours of the day.
However, when the school opened today locals and the girl`s family along with those of other students indulged in the violence on the highway demanding that the two youths be handed over to them or be given exemplary punishment. They also protested against alleged police inaction.
The girl underwent medical tests during the day, Nanda added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'