Historic Baker Laboratory ransacked in Presidency University
Kolkata: Presidency University was on Wednesday wracked by violence when miscreants ransacked the historic Baker Laboratory and vandalised other departments as the students` wings of Trinamool Congress and CPI-M blamed each other for the incident.
The incident took place when a selection test was being held at the premier institution. As panicked students ran for safe places, the authorities closed the university for the day.
The police said that some students carrying TMCP flags organised a procession near the university to protest against yesterday`s heckling of state finance minister Amit Mitra during an SFI agitation in New Delhi.
While the SFI union in the university accused TMCP workers of causing the vandalism, the TMCP blamed SFI workers for the violence and claimed that two of their members were injured and admitted to a city hospital.
However, Presidency University authorities alleged that some outsiders were involved in the incident.
No arrest was made yet and a road blockade set up by some students on College Street where the university is situated was withdrawn after the police intervened. Adequate police personnel were deployed to restore peace in the area, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1