Justice AK Mishra new CJ of Calcutta High Court
Kolkata: Justice Arun Kumar Mishra took over as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court on Friday.
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan administered the oath of office to Justice Mishra, who was earlier the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was present during the function at the Chief Justice`s court room. The function was also attended by Assembly Speaker Biman Banerjee, Leader of Opposition Suryakanta Mishra, state Finance Minister Amit Mitra and Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya.
Justice Mishra in his address said he would strive to ensure speedy disposal of cases to reduce pendency.
He said that 3.6 lakh cases were pending before the High Court and over 26 lakhs in the lower courts in West Bengal.
"I will strive to ensure speedy disposal of cases to bring down the number of cases pending before the courts," the Chief Justice said.
"My endeavour will be to work tirelessly for the interest of common men. I will leave no stone unturned to ensure justice to the people," he said.
Justice Mishra called on the Bar to ensure speedy and inexpensive justice to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown