Lawyers come out in support of former Justice Ganguly
Kolkata: A group of lawyers from the Calcutta High Court on Wednesday came out in support of former Supreme Court judge A K Ganguly, accused of sexually harassing a law intern, saying he should be allowed to work freely till proven guilty.
Senior lawyers Bikash Bhattacharya and Arunava Ghosh led the protest outside the High Court premises where they raised slogans in support of Justice Ganguly saying demands of action against him were "motivated".
"The woman has not filed an FIR in the case till now. The Supreme Court committee which made the inquiry had no legal authority to do so. Then what is he being targeted for?" Bhattacharya said after the rally.
He said, Ganguly should be allowed to work freely as the chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) as per law.
"People are busy doing his character assassination, but there has been no investigation in the case. He has been put under tremendous pressure by politicians to quit the post, but till the time he is proven guilty, he should be allowed to work freely," Bhattacharya said.
This is the first time a group of lawyers came out in the open to support justice Ganguly.
Earlier, another group of lawyers and activists had burnt his effigies twice in protest rallies and sat on a dharna outside his office demanding his resignation as the WBHRC chief.
Several women rights activists, political leaders from the BJP and the Trinamool Congress have been vocal demanding his removal.
President Pranab Mukherjee has already referred two letters of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to the Union Home Ministry seeking further action against Ganguly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself