Mamata nominates Mithun Chakraborty for RS seat
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced on Saturday the nomination of Bollywood actor Mithun Chakraborty as her party Trinamool Congress candidate for the upcoming Rajya Sabha election in the state.
"In our state, five Rajya Sabha members will be elected this time. One of these seats will be given to Mithun Chakraborty from All India Trinamool Congress," Banerjee said in a Facebook post.
Chakraborty, she said, is a well-known film personality and has devoted his life to the cause of cultural and social activities with great success.
"He is an asset not only of West Bengal, but also of the entire country. We are proud to nominate him," Banerjee said.
Five Rajya Sabha seats will be fallling vacant in West Bengal in April for which election will be held on February 7.
Chakraborty has cordial relations with the TMC chief and was invited at the inauguration of Kolkata International Film Festival in its last two editions.
The party is yet to announce the name of its other candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'