Mamata nominates Mithun Chakraborty for RS seat
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced on Saturday the nomination of Bollywood actor Mithun Chakraborty as her party Trinamool Congress candidate for the upcoming Rajya Sabha election in the state.
"In our state, five Rajya Sabha members will be elected this time. One of these seats will be given to Mithun Chakraborty from All India Trinamool Congress," Banerjee said in a Facebook post.
Chakraborty, she said, is a well-known film personality and has devoted his life to the cause of cultural and social activities with great success.
"He is an asset not only of West Bengal, but also of the entire country. We are proud to nominate him," Banerjee said.
Five Rajya Sabha seats will be fallling vacant in West Bengal in April for which election will be held on February 7.
Chakraborty has cordial relations with the TMC chief and was invited at the inauguration of Kolkata International Film Festival in its last two editions.
The party is yet to announce the name of its other candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack