Mamata nominates Mithun Chakraborty for RS seat
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced on Saturday the nomination of Bollywood actor Mithun Chakraborty as her party Trinamool Congress candidate for the upcoming Rajya Sabha election in the state.
"In our state, five Rajya Sabha members will be elected this time. One of these seats will be given to Mithun Chakraborty from All India Trinamool Congress," Banerjee said in a Facebook post.
Chakraborty, she said, is a well-known film personality and has devoted his life to the cause of cultural and social activities with great success.
"He is an asset not only of West Bengal, but also of the entire country. We are proud to nominate him," Banerjee said.
Five Rajya Sabha seats will be fallling vacant in West Bengal in April for which election will be held on February 7.
Chakraborty has cordial relations with the TMC chief and was invited at the inauguration of Kolkata International Film Festival in its last two editions.
The party is yet to announce the name of its other candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair crashes out of French Open
- 2nd Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews leads from front to frustrate England