Mamata trying to stall CBI probe into chitfund scam: CPIM
Kolkata: The CPIM on Saturday alleged that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was opposed to a CBI investigation into the chit fund scam, because it would mean the `end` of the party.
"She is saying that the CPIM is involved. If the CBI comes they will arrest us. Then why is she so worried about a CBI probe?" senior CPIM leader Gautam Deb told reporters at Barasat.
"She knows what it means. She knows if the CBI comes, it will be the beginning of the end of TMC. She is trying to ensure that the CBI doesn`t investigate the chitfund scam," Deb, a CPIM central committee member, said.
Stating that the chief minister could not prevent the CBI from probing the scam, he said that only the central investigative agency and not any state agency would be able to unravel the scam.
Speaking about action taken by his party, Deb said that it took no time to expel Ganesh Dey, a party member who was PA to former finance minister Ashim Dasgupta, for his personal links with the Saradha group.
Deb said that the chief minister had claimed that she came to know about the chitfund scam only in mid April, but her brother had said that he sounded an alert about it a year ago.
"She has threatened to put us in jail. We will get 2 or 3 months rest in jail. Then we will launch a movement again," he said.
"We have seen many ups and downs in the past in our long journey. We are emerging with new strength. Mamata Banerjee is only a semi-colon in between," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read