Mamata trying to stall CBI probe into chitfund scam: CPIM
Kolkata: The CPIM on Saturday alleged that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was opposed to a CBI investigation into the chit fund scam, because it would mean the `end` of the party.
"She is saying that the CPIM is involved. If the CBI comes they will arrest us. Then why is she so worried about a CBI probe?" senior CPIM leader Gautam Deb told reporters at Barasat.
"She knows what it means. She knows if the CBI comes, it will be the beginning of the end of TMC. She is trying to ensure that the CBI doesn`t investigate the chitfund scam," Deb, a CPIM central committee member, said.
Stating that the chief minister could not prevent the CBI from probing the scam, he said that only the central investigative agency and not any state agency would be able to unravel the scam.
Speaking about action taken by his party, Deb said that it took no time to expel Ganesh Dey, a party member who was PA to former finance minister Ashim Dasgupta, for his personal links with the Saradha group.
Deb said that the chief minister had claimed that she came to know about the chitfund scam only in mid April, but her brother had said that he sounded an alert about it a year ago.
"She has threatened to put us in jail. We will get 2 or 3 months rest in jail. Then we will launch a movement again," he said.
"We have seen many ups and downs in the past in our long journey. We are emerging with new strength. Mamata Banerjee is only a semi-colon in between," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"