Mamata trying to stall CBI probe into chitfund scam: CPIM
Kolkata: The CPIM on Saturday alleged that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was opposed to a CBI investigation into the chit fund scam, because it would mean the `end` of the party.
"She is saying that the CPIM is involved. If the CBI comes they will arrest us. Then why is she so worried about a CBI probe?" senior CPIM leader Gautam Deb told reporters at Barasat.
"She knows what it means. She knows if the CBI comes, it will be the beginning of the end of TMC. She is trying to ensure that the CBI doesn`t investigate the chitfund scam," Deb, a CPIM central committee member, said.
Stating that the chief minister could not prevent the CBI from probing the scam, he said that only the central investigative agency and not any state agency would be able to unravel the scam.
Speaking about action taken by his party, Deb said that it took no time to expel Ganesh Dey, a party member who was PA to former finance minister Ashim Dasgupta, for his personal links with the Saradha group.
Deb said that the chief minister had claimed that she came to know about the chitfund scam only in mid April, but her brother had said that he sounded an alert about it a year ago.
"She has threatened to put us in jail. We will get 2 or 3 months rest in jail. Then we will launch a movement again," he said.
"We have seen many ups and downs in the past in our long journey. We are emerging with new strength. Mamata Banerjee is only a semi-colon in between," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know