Man gets death penalty for human sacrifice
Kolkata: A court has awarded the death penalty to a man who beheaded a baby and drank its blood in West Bengal`s Bankura district two years ago.
The incident happened near Saltora region in Bankura, some 220 km from Kolkata.
Lakshmi Kanta Sarkar, a tantric, was caught drinking blood that was dripping from the severed head of the baby in January 2012. The villagers thrashed him before handing him over to the police.
"Sarkar was convicted and a fast track court considered the case to be the rarest of the rare and awarded him the death penalty Monday," public prosecutor A.K. Chattopadhyay said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back