Man gets death penalty for human sacrifice
Kolkata: A court has awarded the death penalty to a man who beheaded a baby and drank its blood in West Bengal`s Bankura district two years ago.
The incident happened near Saltora region in Bankura, some 220 km from Kolkata.
Lakshmi Kanta Sarkar, a tantric, was caught drinking blood that was dripping from the severed head of the baby in January 2012. The villagers thrashed him before handing him over to the police.
"Sarkar was convicted and a fast track court considered the case to be the rarest of the rare and awarded him the death penalty Monday," public prosecutor A.K. Chattopadhyay said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea: USGS
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015