Presidency vandalism staged: Trinamool Congress
Kolkata: After calling the vandalism at the Presidency University "trivial", the Trinamool Congress on Saturday claimed the whole incident was "staged".
"The vandalism at Presidency University was entirely staged," Trinamool secretary general Partha Chatterjee said here.
He was also critical of the university`s vice chancellor Malabika Sarkar.
"On one hand she (Sarkar) has been accusing police of inaction, but when police go to the university to investigate, she does not allow them inside," Chatterjee said.
Armed with sticks and rods, Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad members stormed the Presidency University campus on Wednesday. They assaulted students, including women, and vandalised the famous physics department at the varsity.
They ransacked the century-old Baker Building that houses the physics laboratory where eminent scientists like Jagadish Chandra Bose, Satyendra Nath Bose and Meghnad Saha conducted researches.
The vandalism was a part of a series of statewide retaliatory attacks in the wake of the heckling of Trinamool supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and one of her ministers in New Delhi, allegedly by SFI students earlier Tuesday.
Chatterjee Thursday had described the vandalism as "trivial" and castigated the media for giving it more attention than the heckling of Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand