Public outcry against rape in WB yet to die down
Kolkata: Public outcry against gang-rape and murder of a college girl in North 24 Parganas district has not died down a week after the crime, as a group of intellectuals on Saturday visited the victim`s family to express solidarity with them.
SUCI (communist) gave a 12-hour strike call at Barasat in North 24 Parganas district on Monday to protest the macabre incident and the Mamata Banerjee government`s "apathy" to take proper steps to provide security to women in the state.
Theatre personality Kaushik Sen, artist Samir Aich and some intellectuals visited the victim`s family and consoled them at Kamduni village, near Barasat.
Some villagers of Kamduni said they were planning to stage a demonstration in Kolkata demanding arrests of all the accused and their "execution".
The girl`s father and two brothers have already turned down government`s offer of compensation and demanded that all the rapists be hanged to death.
Meanwhile, Left Front Chairman Biman Bose today alleged that the Mamata Banerjee government had been "totally silent" to take any action against the rapists "who have made school and college girls their soft targets".
"No matter whether the national crime records bureau puts West Bengal on top of crime-prone states, it is to be seen what the state government does to deal with such spurt in criminal activities," he said.
The city witnessed processions by various political parties and outfits in last 24 hours against the rise in rapes and murders in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!