Public outcry against rape in WB yet to die down
Kolkata: Public outcry against gang-rape and murder of a college girl in North 24 Parganas district has not died down a week after the crime, as a group of intellectuals on Saturday visited the victim`s family to express solidarity with them.
SUCI (communist) gave a 12-hour strike call at Barasat in North 24 Parganas district on Monday to protest the macabre incident and the Mamata Banerjee government`s "apathy" to take proper steps to provide security to women in the state.
Theatre personality Kaushik Sen, artist Samir Aich and some intellectuals visited the victim`s family and consoled them at Kamduni village, near Barasat.
Some villagers of Kamduni said they were planning to stage a demonstration in Kolkata demanding arrests of all the accused and their "execution".
The girl`s father and two brothers have already turned down government`s offer of compensation and demanded that all the rapists be hanged to death.
Meanwhile, Left Front Chairman Biman Bose today alleged that the Mamata Banerjee government had been "totally silent" to take any action against the rapists "who have made school and college girls their soft targets".
"No matter whether the national crime records bureau puts West Bengal on top of crime-prone states, it is to be seen what the state government does to deal with such spurt in criminal activities," he said.
The city witnessed processions by various political parties and outfits in last 24 hours against the rise in rapes and murders in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title