Purulia infants` death: Union Health Ministry sending team
New Delhi: Concerned over the death of 13 infants at a government hospital in West Bengal over last few days, the Union Health Ministry is sending a team of experts there to ascertain the facts.
"We are concerned over these deaths and a team of experts will go there to assess the situation," a senior official in the Health Ministry said.
Most of the infants, who died in the government hospital in Purulia, were in the age group of 0-11 months. While eight deaths were reported on Friday, three died on Saturday and two on Sunday.
Sources said Rakesh Kumar, Joint Secretary in the Health Ministry has already spoken to the superintendent of the hospital seeking details of the incident.
The superintendent informed him that two infants died due to Anencephaly (a condition that prevents the normal development of the brain and the bones of the skull), one died due to meningitis and 10 others due to other complications such as low birth weight, malnutrition etc, the sources said.
The superintendent had said that the hospital is facing difficulties in treating such patients as the neo-natal unit has only ten beds, which needs to be increased as daily 15-20 infants in serious condition are referred to the hospital from the block-level hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked