Purulia infants` death: Union Health Ministry sending team
New Delhi: Concerned over the death of 13 infants at a government hospital in West Bengal over last few days, the Union Health Ministry is sending a team of experts there to ascertain the facts.
"We are concerned over these deaths and a team of experts will go there to assess the situation," a senior official in the Health Ministry said.
Most of the infants, who died in the government hospital in Purulia, were in the age group of 0-11 months. While eight deaths were reported on Friday, three died on Saturday and two on Sunday.
Sources said Rakesh Kumar, Joint Secretary in the Health Ministry has already spoken to the superintendent of the hospital seeking details of the incident.
The superintendent informed him that two infants died due to Anencephaly (a condition that prevents the normal development of the brain and the bones of the skull), one died due to meningitis and 10 others due to other complications such as low birth weight, malnutrition etc, the sources said.
The superintendent had said that the hospital is facing difficulties in treating such patients as the neo-natal unit has only ten beds, which needs to be increased as daily 15-20 infants in serious condition are referred to the hospital from the block-level hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened