Purulia infants` death: Union Health Ministry sending team
New Delhi: Concerned over the death of 13 infants at a government hospital in West Bengal over last few days, the Union Health Ministry is sending a team of experts there to ascertain the facts.
"We are concerned over these deaths and a team of experts will go there to assess the situation," a senior official in the Health Ministry said.
Most of the infants, who died in the government hospital in Purulia, were in the age group of 0-11 months. While eight deaths were reported on Friday, three died on Saturday and two on Sunday.
Sources said Rakesh Kumar, Joint Secretary in the Health Ministry has already spoken to the superintendent of the hospital seeking details of the incident.
The superintendent informed him that two infants died due to Anencephaly (a condition that prevents the normal development of the brain and the bones of the skull), one died due to meningitis and 10 others due to other complications such as low birth weight, malnutrition etc, the sources said.
The superintendent had said that the hospital is facing difficulties in treating such patients as the neo-natal unit has only ten beds, which needs to be increased as daily 15-20 infants in serious condition are referred to the hospital from the block-level hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof