Rural chit fund owner dies, toll climbs to 14
Chuchura: The owner of a rural chit fund firm, active in two south Bengal districts, died on Thursday in Hooghly district taking the ponzi scheme fiasco deaths in the state to 14.
Police said Asim Bera, managing director of AMCO firm, was found lying unconscious on the side of his garage this morning.
Bera (56) was declared dead at Chuchura Imambara Hospital and suspected to have consumed poison early today, police said.
Quoting family members, police said, Bera was facing threats from depositors in Bankura and Purulia districts where his firm was active and looked very depressed.
This was the second chit fund related death in Hoooghly district while 12 other cases, all suicides, mostly by agents or depositors, having taken place in other districts including North and South 24 Parganas.
Earlier on May 6, director of Hello India chit fund company Jayanta Sarkar (48) was killed with a sharp weapon at his residence in Chuchura.
The multi-crore chit fund scam, that has rocked West Bengal, was detected following the closure of several media houses run by Saradha group, which defaulted on repayment to lakhs of investors.
Saradha group chairman Sudipta Sen, who had fled the state, was arrested from Sonamarg in Kashmir along with his close associate Debjani Mukherjee and another employee Arvind Singh Chauhan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read