Shinde reviews coastal security in Sunderbans
Kolkata: Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Sunday reviewed coastal security in the Sunderbans on the first day of his two-day visit to West Bengal, advising BSF officials to strengthen surveillance along the vulnerable riverine Indo-Bangla border.
Arriving here from Delhi by a BSF special flight, he flew by an IAF MI-17 helicopter to Sarberia in North 24-Parganas district and from there took a BSF boat to Dhamakhali.
The minister visited T-Junction floating BOP near the Sagar Island and creeks in the Sunderbans, BSF Joint Director General(East) BD Sharma told PTI over phone.
During his visit to the floating BOP Sagar, the Union minister met BSF officials and held a meeting with them.
Shinde later visited the last BOP along the Indo-Bangla riverine border at Shamsernagar and met the BSF Jawans there, before having an interaction with common people, Sharma said.
After resting overnight at Raj Bhavan, Shinde would go to Frazergunj tomorrow to visit a proposed Coast Guard station there, state secretariat sources said.
Shinde is scheduled to take a hovercraft ride, accompanied by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, in the coastal areas followed by a meeting with her, the sources said.
Shinde will also visit the Sagar Island tomorrow before returning to Delhi via Kolkata, the sources said.
The chief minister also left for the Sunderbans ahead of her schedule with Shinde there tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery