Tagore memorabilia brought from Argentina
Kolkata: A pair of spectacles and a golden-bordered stole used by Rabindranath Tagore besides some books gifted by him to the famous Argentinian poetess Victoria Ocampo have now been acquired by Visva Bharati university.
Prof Tapati Mukhopadhyay, director of Rabindra Bhavana museum in Shantiniketan, said the items have been brought back recently with the help of Prof Shyama Prasad Ganguly, a well-known Hispanist and former lecturer of Jawaharlal Nehru University.
The bard had met Ocampo in 1924 in Argentina when he was recuperating from a severe illness. He had gifted her his own spectacles and a stole besides four books.
One of the books is an inscribed copy of `Purabi`, the book of poems he wrote in Argentina and dedicated it to Ocampo.
These objects were inherited from the poetess by her secretary Maria Renee Cura and brought by her to India.
After many years they are now being brought to Shantiniketan by Ganguly, a well-known Hispanist, who knew Cura personally.
Visva Bharati professor Amrit Sen said Ganguly has gifted the central university the memorabilia which would now be a part of its repository at Rabindra Bhavana museum in Shantiniketan, known the world over for its rich archival material related to Tagore and his family.
Gurudev`s spectacles and the stole will be exhibited during a seminar `Rabindranath Tagore and Victoria Ocampo` to be held at Lipika, Shantiniketan this Sunday.
During the programme, correspondence between Rabindranath Tagore and noted Bengali litterateur Annada Sankar Roy and an unpublished manuscript of Roy that includes corrections made by Tagore, would also be presented to the museum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India