Tagore memorabilia brought from Argentina
Kolkata: A pair of spectacles and a golden-bordered stole used by Rabindranath Tagore besides some books gifted by him to the famous Argentinian poetess Victoria Ocampo have now been acquired by Visva Bharati university.
Prof Tapati Mukhopadhyay, director of Rabindra Bhavana museum in Shantiniketan, said the items have been brought back recently with the help of Prof Shyama Prasad Ganguly, a well-known Hispanist and former lecturer of Jawaharlal Nehru University.
The bard had met Ocampo in 1924 in Argentina when he was recuperating from a severe illness. He had gifted her his own spectacles and a stole besides four books.
One of the books is an inscribed copy of `Purabi`, the book of poems he wrote in Argentina and dedicated it to Ocampo.
These objects were inherited from the poetess by her secretary Maria Renee Cura and brought by her to India.
After many years they are now being brought to Shantiniketan by Ganguly, a well-known Hispanist, who knew Cura personally.
Visva Bharati professor Amrit Sen said Ganguly has gifted the central university the memorabilia which would now be a part of its repository at Rabindra Bhavana museum in Shantiniketan, known the world over for its rich archival material related to Tagore and his family.
Gurudev`s spectacles and the stole will be exhibited during a seminar `Rabindranath Tagore and Victoria Ocampo` to be held at Lipika, Shantiniketan this Sunday.
During the programme, correspondence between Rabindranath Tagore and noted Bengali litterateur Annada Sankar Roy and an unpublished manuscript of Roy that includes corrections made by Tagore, would also be presented to the museum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Remarks on Mayawati shows BJP's anti-Dalit stand: Odisha CM
- No need to panic on Trump, Brexit impact long-term: NASSCOM
- Shah Rukh Khan and Aanand L Rai collaboration will take time!
- BJP, Congress demand derecognition of AAP
- Ahead of his Una visit, Kejriwal urges all communities to come together against Gujarat's BJP