Target is to hang Barasat rapists in a month: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister said Wednesday her government was determined to "hang" within a month the perpetrators of the gang-rape and murder of a teenage girl in North 24-Parganas.
"Our government is determined to punish the criminals. Our target is to hang the rapists within a month. We have done it before and we can do it now," Banerjee told a party rally in the district.
Banerjee Monday visited Kamduni village in the district to meet the family of the second-year college student who was abducted, raped and killed by a group of youths June 7 when she was returning home after appearing in an examination in Barasat in the district.
During her Monday visit to the family, Banerjee asserted the death sentence for the eight arrested accused, but was subjected to noisy demonstrations by women of the area who complained of lack of security.
The Trinamool Congress supremo then rebuked the protestors as well as those arrested for the crime as being "CPI-M people".
With the National Crime Records Bureau putting the state atop the charts on crime against women, Banerjee attributed the fugures to her government`s ability to instill confidence in the people to report the crimes.
"During the Left Front regime, despite being subjected to heinous crimes, women never dared to file FIRs or lodge police complaints. They would weep behind curtains and never revealed their ordeals.
"But thanks to the current regime, people are now aware. They are reporting every crime. I welcome this. I appreciate women`s attitude to come out and complain," said Banerjee.
She also blamed a section of the media for misleading people and spreading canards against her government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof