Three Kolkata cops suspended for harassing young man
Kolkata: The Kolkata Police on Saturday suspended three policemen at the Karaya police station here for allegedly harassing a young man after which he self-immolated last month and died of his injuries on January 01.
DCP (South East) Debabrata Das of city police told reporters, "Two sub-inspectors Ranjit Yadav and Vinod Kumar, beside a constable Nasim Khan, of the Karaya police station were today suspended on the basis of the case registered against them under IPC 306 (abetment to commit suicide)."
The family members of the youth Mir Aminul Islam had demanded action against the three policemen and a retired constable Harun Khan for allegedly harassing him when he took a rape victim to the police station for filing a complaint against one Shahajada Bux.
Islam had immolated himself before the police station on December 03 last year in protest against alleged police inaction on the rape and his harassment.
His family members had also produced a note he had written asking them to raise their voice against the alleged nexus between the police and Bux.
They accused that instead of taking action, the police slapped dacoity charges on Islam on the basis of a false case filed by Bux`s wife.
The three had earlier been "closed" (relieved of regular duty) by the city police.
The move followed the West Bengal Human Rights Commission yesterday seeking a report from the police within two weeks.
Joint Commissioner R Tripurari, Das and officer-in-charge of Karaya police station spoke to the family of Islam for about one-and-a-half hours during the day.
Aminul`s friend, who was also present with the family during the meeting, told reporters later that the police recorded statements of six people, including that of the rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says