Three Kolkata cops suspended for harassing young man
Kolkata: The Kolkata Police on Saturday suspended three policemen at the Karaya police station here for allegedly harassing a young man after which he self-immolated last month and died of his injuries on January 01.
DCP (South East) Debabrata Das of city police told reporters, "Two sub-inspectors Ranjit Yadav and Vinod Kumar, beside a constable Nasim Khan, of the Karaya police station were today suspended on the basis of the case registered against them under IPC 306 (abetment to commit suicide)."
The family members of the youth Mir Aminul Islam had demanded action against the three policemen and a retired constable Harun Khan for allegedly harassing him when he took a rape victim to the police station for filing a complaint against one Shahajada Bux.
Islam had immolated himself before the police station on December 03 last year in protest against alleged police inaction on the rape and his harassment.
His family members had also produced a note he had written asking them to raise their voice against the alleged nexus between the police and Bux.
They accused that instead of taking action, the police slapped dacoity charges on Islam on the basis of a false case filed by Bux`s wife.
The three had earlier been "closed" (relieved of regular duty) by the city police.
The move followed the West Bengal Human Rights Commission yesterday seeking a report from the police within two weeks.
Joint Commissioner R Tripurari, Das and officer-in-charge of Karaya police station spoke to the family of Islam for about one-and-a-half hours during the day.
Aminul`s friend, who was also present with the family during the meeting, told reporters later that the police recorded statements of six people, including that of the rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister