Three more infants die at West Bengal hospital
Malda: Three more infants died at the Malda Medical College Hospital, taking the total number of crib deaths at the facility in the past three days to 12.
"Three babies died in the past 24 hours. All of them were underweight and below one year. They were suffering from respiratory problem and had septicaemia," College Vice Principal Dr MA Rashid said.
The condition of the children worsened due to long journey from remote areas of the district and nearby Jharkhand, hospital sources said.
A three-member investigation team will arrive from Kolkata tomorrow to assess the situation in the hospital, Rashid said.
District Magistrate G Kiran Kumar said 22 beds would be added to the paediatric department of the hospital soon to cope with the situation.
The hospital had witnessed many crib deaths last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why