Three more infants die at West Bengal hospital
Malda: Three more infants died at the Malda Medical College Hospital, taking the total number of crib deaths at the facility in the past three days to 12.
"Three babies died in the past 24 hours. All of them were underweight and below one year. They were suffering from respiratory problem and had septicaemia," College Vice Principal Dr MA Rashid said.
The condition of the children worsened due to long journey from remote areas of the district and nearby Jharkhand, hospital sources said.
A three-member investigation team will arrive from Kolkata tomorrow to assess the situation in the hospital, Rashid said.
District Magistrate G Kiran Kumar said 22 beds would be added to the paediatric department of the hospital soon to cope with the situation.
The hospital had witnessed many crib deaths last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof