UPA policies driving farmers to suicide: CPI-M
Kolkata: Terming India`s rate of price rise the highest in the world, the CPI-M Sunday blamed the Congress-led UPA government`s policies for creating a tendency of suicide among farmers.
"The rate at which prices of all commodities have been rising is phenomenal and it is highest among all the countries of the world. Due to the ever increasing cost of farming, there is a growing tendency among farmers to commit suicide," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Biman Bose told media persons here.
He claimed that more than 2,90,000 farmers have committed suicide in the country since 1995.
"Not only do the farmers have to cope with constant price rise of fertilizers, seeds, irrigation, they are being compelled to make distress sale of the produce as they are not getting even the minimum support prices," said Bose.
The CPI-M is conducting `Sangharsh Sandesh Jatha` which will traverse the length and breadth of the country highlighting problems and issues faced by the people and to set out alternative policies advocated by the party.
There will be four main `jathas` - marches - starting from Kanyakumari, Kolkata, Mumbai and Amritsar converging at Delhi March 19 where there will a massive rally.
"The policies of the UPA government have resulted in continuous price rise, agrarian distress, growing unemployment and massive corruption. There is no difference between the Congress and the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) as far as their basic policies are concerned," Bose said.
"The jathas are aimed strengthening non Congress- non BJP forces," he said.
The Kanyakumari march led by S Ramachandran will begin Feb 24, from Kolkata Prakash Karat will lead from March 1. The Amritsar group led by Brinda Karat will also begin March 4 while the Mumbai march led by Sitaram Yechuri will commence March 8.
The focus areas of the marches are: right to land and house-sites; curb price-rise and give right to food; right to education and health, right to employment, ensure social justice and rights of women; and end corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'