Wendell Rodricks, the designer who is now an activist
Kolkata:Pained to see the fragile ecosystem of the scenic Goa being damaged by illegal mining, garbage dumping and population explosion, leading fashion designer Wendell Rodricks has now turned into an environmental activist.
In his recently-released autobiography `The Green Room`, he describes how unfortunate circumstances and his unbridled love for his native state of Goa have gradually made him into a "reluctant activist".
"Never in my life had I dreamt that I would stand on a truck or a public garden and deliver fiery speeches to save Goa.
But by 2004, I was voicing my opinions loud and clear in `Goa Today` and had made many powerful enemies. But the Goan public showered their support," writes Rodricks.
Rated as one of India`s top ten designers, the 52-year-old is famous for putting the seaside Goa on the world`s fashion map with his minimalistic designs.
In the book released here at the Oxford Bookstore, Rodricks who hails from the picturesque riverside village of Colvale, few kms away from Panaji, says he doesn`t remember when he began to get involved with environmental issues. "Drugs and prostitution became commonplace and a workforce comprising immigrant labourers outnumbered the local populace.
The village of Colvale was cut in half by a highway in 2000. As I watched the village of 2000 Colvalkars being inhabited by more than 7000 people, I turned into a reluctant activist," he writes.
To provide ecological solutions for garbage management, composting, rainwater harvesting, sewage treatment, clean water management and to encourage pesticide-free fruits and vegetables, the ace designer even started a company called Green Goa Works in 2004.
"I was furious and frustrated at the sight of Colvale dumping site. What were the politicians doing? Couldn`t they manage the garbage of 1.2 million people? Were we paying taxes so that these jokers could make fool of us?" he writes.
Protesting against illegal mining, he had last month closed down his fashion boutique in a hotel co-operated by a mining company.
As a designer he promotes eco-friendly wear and became the first Indian to present his collection at the world`s largest organic fair BIOFACH earlier this year.
In his stores, he has a special collection of cotton garments, yoga mats and stoles made using 100 per cent natural dyes sourced from an NGO which works with tribals at the Goa-Maharashtra-Karnataka border.
"I love my land so much that if someone tells me to eat the soil in Colavle I will. My love for Goa is so strong that I cannot see it destroyed before my eyes," concludes Rodricks in his book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly