West Bengal by-poll: Congress, TMC, Left Front win one seat each
Kolkata: Congress, Trinamool Congress and Left Front shared honours in the crucial by-poll to three Assembly constituencies in West Bengal on Thursday.
Congress took a sweet revenge by defeating its former MLA Humayan Kabir, who is now a TMC minister in the state government, from Rejinagar seat in Murshidabad district.
The election results served a blow to the TMC which stood third in Nalhati in Birbhum district and Rejinagar in Murshidabad district, both of which the ruling party has expected to win.
Congress candidate Rabiul Alam Choudhury won from Rejinagar constituency against his nearest rival Left Front candidate Sirajul Islam Mandal by a margin of 11,722 seats.
LF candidate Dipak Chatterjee won from Nalhati in Birbhum district over Congress` Abdur Rahman by a margin of 7,742 votes.
TMC`s Biplab Ojha also stood third in the Nalhati Assembly by poll.
The saving grace for Trinamool Congress was, however, its win from English Bazar in Malda district when its minister Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury won by a margin of 20,452 votes over Kaushik Mishra of the Left front.
During the 2011 Assembly Elections, Congress had won all the three seats when it had an alliance with the TMC.
But after Congress and Trinamool parted ways over FDI in retail, both the parties decided to fight polls separately.
The Nalhati Assembly seat fell vacant after its MLA Abhijit Mukherjee, the son of President Pranab Mukherjee, quit his seat to fight the Lok Sabha by-election from Jangipur.
Elections to English Bazar and Rejinagar seats were necessitated by resignation of Congress MLAs Krishnendu Chowdhury and Humayun Kabir following their switch-over to the TMC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door