West Bengal by-poll: Congress, TMC, Left Front win one seat each
Kolkata: Congress, Trinamool Congress and Left Front shared honours in the crucial by-poll to three Assembly constituencies in West Bengal on Thursday.
Congress took a sweet revenge by defeating its former MLA Humayan Kabir, who is now a TMC minister in the state government, from Rejinagar seat in Murshidabad district.
The election results served a blow to the TMC which stood third in Nalhati in Birbhum district and Rejinagar in Murshidabad district, both of which the ruling party has expected to win.
Congress candidate Rabiul Alam Choudhury won from Rejinagar constituency against his nearest rival Left Front candidate Sirajul Islam Mandal by a margin of 11,722 seats.
LF candidate Dipak Chatterjee won from Nalhati in Birbhum district over Congress` Abdur Rahman by a margin of 7,742 votes.
TMC`s Biplab Ojha also stood third in the Nalhati Assembly by poll.
The saving grace for Trinamool Congress was, however, its win from English Bazar in Malda district when its minister Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury won by a margin of 20,452 votes over Kaushik Mishra of the Left front.
During the 2011 Assembly Elections, Congress had won all the three seats when it had an alliance with the TMC.
But after Congress and Trinamool parted ways over FDI in retail, both the parties decided to fight polls separately.
The Nalhati Assembly seat fell vacant after its MLA Abhijit Mukherjee, the son of President Pranab Mukherjee, quit his seat to fight the Lok Sabha by-election from Jangipur.
Elections to English Bazar and Rejinagar seats were necessitated by resignation of Congress MLAs Krishnendu Chowdhury and Humayun Kabir following their switch-over to the TMC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk