West Bengal clashes: Left calls protest rally
Kolkata: The CPI(M) has called a protest rally in West Bengal on Wednesday, a day after several of its workers were injured in clashes with the Trinamool Congress supporters near Kolkata.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose said that a statewide "condemnation day" will be observed today in protest against Tuesday`s attacks.
The TMC has also called for a rally today over the issue.
Both the parties have blamed each other for the violence in which the Left said 27 of its workers were injured while the TMC said 10 of its workers were wounded.
Firearms and stones were used in clashes that took place in Bhangar block of South 24-Parganas district, leaders of both parties claimed.
A large number of vehicles were reportedly torched in the clashes in Bhangar, about 30 km from Kolkata.
The Left Front apprised Governor MK Narayanan of the "lawlessness" and the government`s "inhuman" attitude following yesterday’s violence.
State Congress chief Pradip Bhattacharya said his party was "extremely worried" over the deteriorating law and order and it would ask the Union Home Ministry to send a special team to assess the situation.
State Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee alleged that CPI(M) activists, who were on their way in a convoy of cars to attend a demonstration, attacked Trinamool Congress workers with firearms.
He said that Trinamool Congress workers would take to the streets everyday after 6 pm from January 10-18 to protest the "conspiracy" by the CPI(M), the Congress and two news channels to incite the public and create "lawlessness".
Bhangar has become politically volatile since last week over clashes between the rival parties seeking to capture political turf ahead of the coming panchayat polls in the state.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place