West Bengal clashes: Left calls protest rally
Kolkata: The CPI(M) has called a protest rally in West Bengal on Wednesday, a day after several of its workers were injured in clashes with the Trinamool Congress supporters near Kolkata.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose said that a statewide "condemnation day" will be observed today in protest against Tuesday`s attacks.
The TMC has also called for a rally today over the issue.
Both the parties have blamed each other for the violence in which the Left said 27 of its workers were injured while the TMC said 10 of its workers were wounded.
Firearms and stones were used in clashes that took place in Bhangar block of South 24-Parganas district, leaders of both parties claimed.
A large number of vehicles were reportedly torched in the clashes in Bhangar, about 30 km from Kolkata.
The Left Front apprised Governor MK Narayanan of the "lawlessness" and the government`s "inhuman" attitude following yesterday’s violence.
State Congress chief Pradip Bhattacharya said his party was "extremely worried" over the deteriorating law and order and it would ask the Union Home Ministry to send a special team to assess the situation.
State Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee alleged that CPI(M) activists, who were on their way in a convoy of cars to attend a demonstration, attacked Trinamool Congress workers with firearms.
He said that Trinamool Congress workers would take to the streets everyday after 6 pm from January 10-18 to protest the "conspiracy" by the CPI(M), the Congress and two news channels to incite the public and create "lawlessness".
Bhangar has become politically volatile since last week over clashes between the rival parties seeking to capture political turf ahead of the coming panchayat polls in the state.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it