West Bengal police station vandalised
Kolkata: A police station in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district was vandalised by an irate mob Friday, police said.
"A mob of over 50 people, who had gone to give a deputation against a panchayat member alleged to be corrupt, ransacked the Bongaon police station after they found the senior officers missing from the station," Superintendent of Police Sugata Sen said.
"The senior officers had gone out on a law and order duty. We are making raids though nobody has been arrested so far," added Sen.
The incident happened Friday noon in Bongaon, some 70 km from here.
While there were allegations that the vandalism was carried out by Trinamool Congress supporters, this was denied by party leaders.
"We are looking into the allegations that the mob which ransacked the police station were Trinamool supporters. I have heard that they were carrying the party flag. If we find that our men were involved, strict action will be taken against them," Biswajit Das, Trinamool legislator from the area, said.
Video footage broadcast by a news channel showed members of the mob carrying Trinamool flags.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?