West Bengal police station vandalised
Kolkata: A police station in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district was vandalised by an irate mob Friday, police said.
"A mob of over 50 people, who had gone to give a deputation against a panchayat member alleged to be corrupt, ransacked the Bongaon police station after they found the senior officers missing from the station," Superintendent of Police Sugata Sen said.
"The senior officers had gone out on a law and order duty. We are making raids though nobody has been arrested so far," added Sen.
The incident happened Friday noon in Bongaon, some 70 km from here.
While there were allegations that the vandalism was carried out by Trinamool Congress supporters, this was denied by party leaders.
"We are looking into the allegations that the mob which ransacked the police station were Trinamool supporters. I have heard that they were carrying the party flag. If we find that our men were involved, strict action will be taken against them," Biswajit Das, Trinamool legislator from the area, said.
Video footage broadcast by a news channel showed members of the mob carrying Trinamool flags.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?