West Bengal police station vandalised
Kolkata: A police station in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district was vandalised by an irate mob Friday, police said.
"A mob of over 50 people, who had gone to give a deputation against a panchayat member alleged to be corrupt, ransacked the Bongaon police station after they found the senior officers missing from the station," Superintendent of Police Sugata Sen said.
"The senior officers had gone out on a law and order duty. We are making raids though nobody has been arrested so far," added Sen.
The incident happened Friday noon in Bongaon, some 70 km from here.
While there were allegations that the vandalism was carried out by Trinamool Congress supporters, this was denied by party leaders.
"We are looking into the allegations that the mob which ransacked the police station were Trinamool supporters. I have heard that they were carrying the party flag. If we find that our men were involved, strict action will be taken against them," Biswajit Das, Trinamool legislator from the area, said.
Video footage broadcast by a news channel showed members of the mob carrying Trinamool flags.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon