West Bengal police station vandalised
Kolkata: A police station in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district was vandalised by an irate mob Friday, police said.
"A mob of over 50 people, who had gone to give a deputation against a panchayat member alleged to be corrupt, ransacked the Bongaon police station after they found the senior officers missing from the station," Superintendent of Police Sugata Sen said.
"The senior officers had gone out on a law and order duty. We are making raids though nobody has been arrested so far," added Sen.
The incident happened Friday noon in Bongaon, some 70 km from here.
While there were allegations that the vandalism was carried out by Trinamool Congress supporters, this was denied by party leaders.
"We are looking into the allegations that the mob which ransacked the police station were Trinamool supporters. I have heard that they were carrying the party flag. If we find that our men were involved, strict action will be taken against them," Biswajit Das, Trinamool legislator from the area, said.
Video footage broadcast by a news channel showed members of the mob carrying Trinamool flags.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH