17 killed in Mexico jailbreak attempt
Mexico City: Eleven inmates and six guards of a Mexican prison were killed Tuesday after police tried to prevent a jailbreak attempt, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The clashes broke out in the evening at a prison in the Gomez Palacio city, said the state`s public security ministry in a statement, adding that the rebel prisoners shot at guard towers, setting off alarm bells.
As prisoners tried to escape the facility through tunnels and over the fence, they were fired at by guards after warning shots failed to stop the inmates from fleeing.
The situation was later brought under control, the statement said. A probe has been launched to determine the causes and fix responsibility for the incident, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah