17 killed in Mexico jailbreak attempt
Mexico City: Eleven inmates and six guards of a Mexican prison were killed Tuesday after police tried to prevent a jailbreak attempt, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The clashes broke out in the evening at a prison in the Gomez Palacio city, said the state`s public security ministry in a statement, adding that the rebel prisoners shot at guard towers, setting off alarm bells.
As prisoners tried to escape the facility through tunnels and over the fence, they were fired at by guards after warning shots failed to stop the inmates from fleeing.
The situation was later brought under control, the statement said. A probe has been launched to determine the causes and fix responsibility for the incident, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US