17 killed in Mexico jailbreak attempt
Mexico City: Eleven inmates and six guards of a Mexican prison were killed Tuesday after police tried to prevent a jailbreak attempt, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The clashes broke out in the evening at a prison in the Gomez Palacio city, said the state`s public security ministry in a statement, adding that the rebel prisoners shot at guard towers, setting off alarm bells.
As prisoners tried to escape the facility through tunnels and over the fence, they were fired at by guards after warning shots failed to stop the inmates from fleeing.
The situation was later brought under control, the statement said. A probe has been launched to determine the causes and fix responsibility for the incident, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...