17 killed in Mexico jailbreak attempt
Mexico City: Eleven inmates and six guards of a Mexican prison were killed Tuesday after police tried to prevent a jailbreak attempt, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The clashes broke out in the evening at a prison in the Gomez Palacio city, said the state`s public security ministry in a statement, adding that the rebel prisoners shot at guard towers, setting off alarm bells.
As prisoners tried to escape the facility through tunnels and over the fence, they were fired at by guards after warning shots failed to stop the inmates from fleeing.
The situation was later brought under control, the statement said. A probe has been launched to determine the causes and fix responsibility for the incident, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends