185 Yemeni troops dead in weekend al Qaeda attack
Sanaa: The number of government troops killed
by al Qaeda militants in a weekend attack in southern Yemen
has risen to 185, officials said.
Soldiers` bodies were founded mutilated and some were
Military officials say the death toll rose after more
bodies were found in the desert outside the town of Zinjibar,
capital of the southern province of Abyan. The Sunday attack
left at least 32 militants dead. Officials said that there
were scores of wounded from both sides.
Medical officials in the area confirmed the latest death
toll and said some of the bodies of soldiers recovered had
been mutilated. They said that bodies packed the military
hospital morgue to which they were taken.
The death toll is believed to be the highest on record
from battles fought by the army against al Qaeda militants,
who have been emboldened by the political turmoil roiling the
impoverished Arab nation for more than a year and have seized
control of Zinjibar and other areas in the south.
Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they
were not authorised to speak to the press.
The militants` attack appeared to be al Qaeda`s response
to a pledge by Yemen`s newly inaugurated President Abed Rabbo
Mansour Hadi to fight the Yemeni branch of the terror network,
believed to be the world`s most active.
The scale of Sunday`s attacks pointed to the combat
readiness of the militants in Yemen, which the United States
considers a key battleground in the war on al Qaeda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly