Abu Qatada extradition block to be challenged by UK
London: Twenty days after radical Muslim preacher Abu Qatada came out of detention on bail on after seven years in prison, Britain Monday appealed against the court’s decision.
Qatada had won his appeal against deportation from Britain to Jordan, where he face terrorism charges. The court declared that despite Jordanian assurances, the cleric faced risk of trial based on evidence obtained by torture.
Someone from the interior ministry of Britain confirmed that they have filed their grounds against the verdict, as per reports.
Now a judge will look into the decision made Britain`s Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC)and decide Qatada’s fate.
Jordan’s Deputy PM Nick Clegg had earlier made clear that they were “absolutely determined" to deport him. He had said that the Jordanian government disagreed with the judgment and will challenge the ruling.
Qatada, whose real name is Mohommed Othman, was previously been described by the British courts as "a truly dangerous individual at the centre in the United Kingdom of terrorist activities associated with al-Qaeda".
Qatada, believed to be having wide and high-level support among Islamist extremists, is alleged of bomb plots in Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE