After 1962 war, US contemplated nuking China: Book
Washington: Six months after the 1962 Chinese aggression on India, the US had contemplated using nuclear weapons in the event of another attack from Beijing as it was determined to prevent an Indian defeat at the hands of the Communists.
The then president John F Kennedy, at a meeting with his top military aides on May 9, 1963, had expressed clear determination not to let Beijing defeat New Delhi, with his defence secretary even talking about using nuclear weapons against China if it launched another attack against India.
These disclosures have come in a just released book `Listening In: The Secret White House Recordings of John F Kennedy` co-authored by Ted Widmer and Caroline Kennedy.
"I gather we`re coming to the defence of Israel and Saudi Arabia. What I think we ought to think about is, (unclear) it`s desirable for us, to give India a guarantee which actually we would carry out. I don`t think there`s any doubt that this country is determined that we couldn`t permit the Chinese to defeat the Indians," Kennedy said.
"If we would, we might as well get out of South Korea and South Vietnam. So I think that`s what we`ll decide at the time. Now, therefore, I don`t mind making, seeing us make some commitments. Now, if it is politically important," he said.
Kennedy was quoted by the book as making these remarks in the White House meeting with his Defence Secretary Robert McNamara and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Maxwell Davenport "Max" Taylor.
Kennedy was US President from 1961 until his death in 1963. The book is a selection of audio recordings of Kennedy`s conversations and meetings at the White House.
The recordings have been selected from the hidden recording systems in the Oval Office and in the Cabinet Room installed by Kennedy in July 1962, in an effort to preserve an accurate record of Presidential decision-making in a highly charged atmosphere of conflicting viewpoints, strategies and tactics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi