‘Al Qaeda can target London Olympics’
London: Europol, the European Union`s criminal intelligence agency, has warned that al Qaeda could to target the London Olympics.
According to Europol, the London Games could be targeted for its symbolic value.
Security experts have cautioned that a successful large-scale assault could invigorate the organisation whose profile has been weakened after the death of al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.
Europol said that al Qaeda is concentrating on a strategy of `individual jihad` in recent years, The Independent reports.
But it also warned that the organisation aimed to stage assaults that would `cause mass casualties` and wreak a `psychological impact` that would have a long-term negative effect on society.
The chilling comments in the agency`s report amount to the latest of a lengthening list of credible warnings of threats to the Games, which begin in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi