‘Al Qaeda can target London Olympics’
London: Europol, the European Union`s criminal intelligence agency, has warned that al Qaeda could to target the London Olympics.
According to Europol, the London Games could be targeted for its symbolic value.
Security experts have cautioned that a successful large-scale assault could invigorate the organisation whose profile has been weakened after the death of al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.
Europol said that al Qaeda is concentrating on a strategy of `individual jihad` in recent years, The Independent reports.
But it also warned that the organisation aimed to stage assaults that would `cause mass casualties` and wreak a `psychological impact` that would have a long-term negative effect on society.
The chilling comments in the agency`s report amount to the latest of a lengthening list of credible warnings of threats to the Games, which begin in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Dredging of Brahmaputra soon to stop floods, erosion: Sonowal
- You may be ignoring these signs of a stroke! - Watch video
- Delhi schoolboy run over by van that dropped him home
- Will pursue agenda of political resolution, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Section 144 imposed in Agartala after clashes over separate tribal state, 20 injured