‘Al Qaeda can target London Olympics’
London: Europol, the European Union`s criminal intelligence agency, has warned that al Qaeda could to target the London Olympics.
According to Europol, the London Games could be targeted for its symbolic value.
Security experts have cautioned that a successful large-scale assault could invigorate the organisation whose profile has been weakened after the death of al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.
Europol said that al Qaeda is concentrating on a strategy of `individual jihad` in recent years, The Independent reports.
But it also warned that the organisation aimed to stage assaults that would `cause mass casualties` and wreak a `psychological impact` that would have a long-term negative effect on society.
The chilling comments in the agency`s report amount to the latest of a lengthening list of credible warnings of threats to the Games, which begin in July.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview