‘Al Qaeda can target London Olympics’
London: Europol, the European Union`s criminal intelligence agency, has warned that al Qaeda could to target the London Olympics.
According to Europol, the London Games could be targeted for its symbolic value.
Security experts have cautioned that a successful large-scale assault could invigorate the organisation whose profile has been weakened after the death of al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.
Europol said that al Qaeda is concentrating on a strategy of `individual jihad` in recent years, The Independent reports.
But it also warned that the organisation aimed to stage assaults that would `cause mass casualties` and wreak a `psychological impact` that would have a long-term negative effect on society.
The chilling comments in the agency`s report amount to the latest of a lengthening list of credible warnings of threats to the Games, which begin in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why