‘Al Qaeda can target London Olympics’
London: Europol, the European Union`s criminal intelligence agency, has warned that al Qaeda could to target the London Olympics.
According to Europol, the London Games could be targeted for its symbolic value.
Security experts have cautioned that a successful large-scale assault could invigorate the organisation whose profile has been weakened after the death of al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.
Europol said that al Qaeda is concentrating on a strategy of `individual jihad` in recent years, The Independent reports.
But it also warned that the organisation aimed to stage assaults that would `cause mass casualties` and wreak a `psychological impact` that would have a long-term negative effect on society.
The chilling comments in the agency`s report amount to the latest of a lengthening list of credible warnings of threats to the Games, which begin in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre