American woman hacked to death by `mentally ill` Chinese man
Beijing: An American woman and a local person were killed by a machete-wielding Chinese man in front of hundreds of people outside a mall here.
The attack, which unnerved the large foreign community here took place outside a shopping mall in the Chaoyang District Wednesday evening.
Hundreds of bystanders witnessed the incident, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
An official spokesman said police apprehended the suspect, a 27-year-old man surnamed Xiao from east China`s Shandong Province, on the spot after being alerted to the attack.
The suspect has claimed that he is mentally ill.
According to a preliminary police probe, the unemployed man arrived in Beijing at the beginning of June.
He told police that he "always felt that he was looked down on by others."
Beijing police have contacted their counterparts in the suspect`s home province in order to obtain more information about the man`s medical history.
No information on the man`s motive for the crime was immediately available.
China in recent years has witnessed such incidents, stated to be social revenge attacks, many of them directed against primary school children but this is the first time a foreigner was targeted.
Few details have been made public in such cases except to say that they attackers were mentally deranged and suffering from psychological problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- India's tour of West Indies: Hosts pick uncapped fast bowler Alzarri Joseph for second Test
- SC to hear plea of Army doctors for enhancement of retirement age
- Fun times! Former Aussie speedster Brett Lee on the sets of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- AAP woman worker's suicide:BJP demands FIR against AAP leaders
- No concrete evidence about missing AN-32 plane: Parrikar