Annan to meet Lavrov amid Damascus fighting
Moscow: UN and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan will on Monday hold talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow amidst reports of continuous fight around the Syrian capital Damascus.
According to activists, opposition fighters are clashing with Syrian government forces in the capital Damascus for a second day.
The fighting in several neighbourhoods is reported to be among the heaviest since the uprising against President Bashar Assad`s regime began in March last year.
Earlier in the day, Lavrov signalled no change in Russia`s position on the conflict on Syria before talks in Moscow with Annan.
Lavrov reiterated Moscow`s opposition to a resolution being discussed by the UN Security Council on extending a monitoring mission in Syria which includes a threat of sanctions.
He told a news conference that such threats contained "elements of blackmail".
He also stated that it would be "unrealistic" for Russia to urge Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living