Arab League warned over giving Syria seat to rebels
Moscow: Russia`s Foreign Ministry has warned the Arab League that its recent decision to give Syria`s seat to the opposition National Council would legalise arms supplies to terrorists.
The Arab League suspended Syria`s membership in November 2011, accusing President Bashar al-Assad of using lethal force against protesters.
The Arab League offered Syria`s vacant seat to the rebel Syrian National Coalition at a meeting in Cairo March 6.
Arab League secretary general Nabil Elaraby said the SNC was invited to choose a representative to attend a League summit in Qatar capital Doha March 26 and 27, Al Jazeera reported.
Iraq and Algeria expressed reservations, while Lebanon declined to be associated with the resolution, Elaraby said.
The Arab League`s decision to give the SNC the seat facilitates the possibility of legalising arms supplies to "terrorists", Russian foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said.
"Considering that the most battleworthy force standing up to Syria`s regular army is admittedly Jabhat al Nusra, a terrorist group, it is easy to see who will become the `end user` of that assistance," Lukashevich said.
He said there was still a chance for talks between the Syrian government and the opposition groups.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov earlier said that Russia was taking no sides in the Syrian conflict and hopes the Syrian opposition will soon form a team to negotiate with government representatives.
About 70,000 people have died in Syria since the start of the uprising against Assad in March 2011, according to UN figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das