At least 20 die in Sudan shootout in border area
Khartoum: Sudan and the UN say a shootout in a disputed oil-rich border region has left at least 20 people dead, including at least one Ethiopian UN peacekeeper and a tribal chief traveling with them.
Khartoum`s Interior Ministry in a statement carried by Sudan`s media yesterday said 21 were killed in Abyei district, including Koul Deng Majok , an ethnic Ngok Dinka from neighbouring South Sudan, two peacekeepers, and 17 members of the Misseriya tribe.
It said Majok`s tribe had failed to inform Misseriya tribesmen they would be visiting the area.
The UN said earlier that Majok and one peacekeeper were killed in the Saturday incident that apparently pitted Dinka farmers against Misseriya herders. Abyei is a sticking point between Sudan and South Sudan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read