`Bashar al-Assad has lost all legitimacy and must go`
Washington: Voicing its support to Syrian people, the White House said President Bashar al-Assad has lost legitimacy and must go, after US Secretary of State John Kerry met the Syrian opposition leaders and announced additional aid in Rome.
"Bashar al-Assad has lost all legitimacy and must go. We stand united with the Syrian people on this, and we will continue to offer support to the Syrian opposition even as other countries choose to make it possible for Assad to continue his violent campaign against his own people," Jay Carney, the White House Press Secretary, told reporters.
On Thursday, Kerry announced an additional USD 60 million nonlethal support to the Syrian Opposition Coalition.
"He stood with our partners in that coalition and reaffirmed the commitment of President Obama to help the Syrian people transition to a Democratic inclusive and peaceful Syria," Carney said yesterday.
"Kerry announced today that to translate our support into tangible assistance, we will provide an additional USD 60 million in nonlethal support to the Coalition`s operational needs."
"..That comes on top of USD 50 million already provided in nonlethal assistance to the opposition, and is separate from the USD 385 million in humanitarian assistance that we have been providing to the Syrian population," he said.
The Syrian Opposition, according to the State Department, has notified the US of some very credible reporting of another massacre.
"Seventy-two bodies discovered in the city of Maalikiyah, west of the Al-Shifa, the area of Al-Shifa near Aleppo. They were identified on Wednesday evening."
"...So this is another sign of horrific violence that the opposition has reported. We continue to see Scuds in the area of Aleppo. That has not ceased, so the violence continues," State Department spokesman, Patrick Ventrell said.
This is the first time that the US has publicly committed itself to sending non-lethal support to Syria`s armed opposition.
"The shift is intended to empower Syria`s moderate forces, although it falls short of the weapons and equipment that Syrian rebels have requested," Elizabeth O`Bagy of the Institute for the Study of War said.
"This policy decision against providing lethal aid is largely due to concerns over the emergence of powerful Islamist brigades and extremist groups in Syria."
"..By offering support through the new military command, the US is looking to build a better relationship with Syria`s armed opposition and check the radical elements within its ranks," Elizabeth said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India