BBC pay row overshadows firm’s Patten’s ‘get a grip’ plan
London: The ongoing crisis in the BBC over its ‘unjustified’ pay-off to a former executive has overshadowed the firm’s acting director-general Lord Patten’s promise to ‘get a grip’ of the problems at the broadcaster, says a report.
The approval by the BBC Trust of the 450,000 pounds pay-off to George Entwistle has had a predictably bad reception by people at the firm, and has given further ammunition to those who want Lord Patten himself to resign.
According to the BBC, it has also been criticised by senior MPs, who had earlier supported his moves to "get a grip" on the Corporation.
The Culture Secretary Maria Miller echoed complaints by other MPs that it was "tough to justify" and has asked Entwistle to reflect on whether he should take it.
Lord Patten has clarified why the Trust thought it was right to pay Entwistle one year``s salary, instead of the six months`` pay-off he was thought to have been entitled to.
Originally the Trust said it was because the former director general would be continuing to work on BBC matters, including the Jimmy Savile inquiries.
That explanation didn`t impress John Whittingdale, the chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport select committee, who was the first to complain that the payment was unjustified.
According to the report, when Lord Patten first became chairman of the BBC Trust, he said the high pay of senior management was a "toxic" issue, which he needed to tackle straight away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi