Berlusconi eyes return to politics: Report
Berlin: Former Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi suggested in an interview published on Monday that he will attempt a return to power using the old party name that brought him into politics two decades ago.
In an interview in Germany`s Bild newspaper, Berlusconi said he is asked "often and emphatically" to step back into the political ring.
"I can only say I won`t let my old People of Freedom Party down. We will soon return to the old party name by the way, `Forza Italia` (Go Italy)."
Berlusconi came to power in 1994 using the catchy soccer chant as his motto, and he dominated Italy`s political scene until he was forced to resign in November with the country in financial shambles and a personal legacy tarnished by sex and corruption scandals.
Berlusconi told Bild he saw his resignation as a way to allow Premier Mario Monti to use his broad support to bring about necessary changes. Monti, an economist and former European Commissioner, has raised taxes and pushed through painful reforms to the pension and labor market systems.
"I wanted to make reforms possible," Berlusconi said. Monti has ruled out running for office when his term ends in 2013.
In recent days, members of Berlusconi`s inner circle have spoken openly that the media mogul would run in elections next spring. Yesterday, his onetime political heir, Angelino Alfano, essentially admitted he would step aside to make way for a new Berlusconi run.
But not all party members favor Berlusconi`s return: Rome Mayor Gianni Alemanno, for example, noted that People of Freedom members had elected Alfano party secretary with the express intention of making him the center-right candidate in 2013 elections.
In an interview with Rome daily La Repubblica, Alemanno said a party primary would be necessary to determine if voters really are behind Berlusconi despite the scandals that continue to vex him.
In addition, the Northern League party, Berlusconi`s longtime coalition ally, no longer supports him, complicating any re-election bid.
In Italy, it`s common for political parties to change their names and logos in a bid to reinvent themselves, even though the politicians and policies remain essentially the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now