Black teenager plans to sue UK Metropolitan police
London: A black teenager is planning to sue the Metropolitan police in the UK over claims that he has been stopped about 50 times by police officials and has suffered almost four years of harassment and false charges.
The college student, aged between 14 and 17, claimed that he has faced a series of charges by the Met police, which he believes have been motivated by racism.
“I can`t think of any other reason why the police keep doing this to me apart from racism. I`ve been stopped and searched so many times I`ve lost count, I think it`s about 50 times,” The Guardian quoted the youth, as saying.
He claimed that in all the instances he has either been found not guilty or having been dropped before getting to court, as well as numerous stops and searches and two strip searches, none of which identified any criminal activity.
He also claimed that he has been detained several times in police cells after which he was released without charge.
According to the paper, last week the teenager appeared at a youth court in the UK, over charges that he assaulted a police officer. However, the case was dropped after a CCTV footage contradicted the evidence given by the police officer who claimed to have been assaulted by the youth during a stop and search.
UK’s Crown Prosecution Service has admitted it did not review the case fully before it went to court and is to apologise to the youth for the same, the paper added.
The Met police confirmed the acquittal but declined to comment further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video