Bosnia passes laws key to EU bid
Sarajevo: Bosnia passed laws on Friday seen as crucial to reviving its European Union accession bid, with Serb, Croat and Muslim leaders agreeing to the first census since 1991 and to a single state-level body to coordinate EU aid programs.
Muslims, Bosnia`s largest ethnic group, feared a census that questioned peoples` ethnicity would cement the effects of wartime ethnic cleansing when half of Bosnia`s 4.4 million citizens were killed, driven out or fled.
But faced by polls showing 70-80 percent of Bosnians want to join the EU, politicians from the main Muslim bloc dropped objections to a census, a key requirement by Brussels for candidate countries.
The bloc has insisted also on a state-level coordination body to manage EU-funded development programs, rejecting Bosnian Serb demands that each region negotiate individually.
Years of political infighting has left Bosnia`s accession bid at a standstill while neighbouring Croatia is due to join the bloc in 2013, Macedonia has won candidacy and Montenegro expects to start accession talks in June. Serbia and Albania applied for membership but have been turned down.
Bosnia is divided into two autonomous, ethnically based regions - the Federation dominated by Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims) and Croats, and the Serb Republic - under the terms of the 1995 US-backed Dayton peace agreement. The government is still headed by a three-person presidency, one from each ethnic group.
Deputies from the rival regions regularly blocked laws in Bosnia`s national Parliament and, to try to solve the deadlock, its six main political leaders agreed to form a central government in December, 15 months after an election.
The new census will be conducted in April 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened