Breivik spared me, then shot me: Witness
Oslo: A Norwegian who survived Anders Behring Breivik`s shooting rampage on Utoya island capped two weeks of chilling witness statements from survivors on Friday, describing how the self-confessed killer first mistook him for a fellow right-wing extremist and spared him, then shot him when he found him again.
Adrian Pracon, 22, was the only adult survivor who was momentarily spared on July 22, when the 33-year old Norwegian right-wing extremist gunned down 69 people on the island after setting off a bomb in central Oslo that claimed eight lives.
Pracon testified that Breivik, a self-styled anti-Muslim crusader, first found him on Utoya island as he stood knee-deep in water at the shoreline with nowhere to hide.
"We got eye contact," the witness said. "I experienced it as if he made a long evaluation. When he turned away, it was very decisive. Almost as if in a military manner." Breivik lowered his weapon and went to hunt down other victims, Pracon said.
Later, Breivik returned to the shoreline where Pracon was lying and this time shot and wounded him in the shoulder, apparently while aiming for his head.
"Something died inside of me. I`ve been asking myself why I was spared. It doesn`t give me any meaning," Pracon told the court in the last witness statement from survivors of Breivik`s bloody massacre at the Labor Party`s annual youth camp on the island.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31