Britain’s top cardinal says priests should be allowed to marry
London: The top Roman Catholic priest in England has said that he believed that priests should be allowed to marry if they wished to.
Cardinal Keith O`Brien, who will be part of the council that chooses the next Pope following the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, said that it was clear that many priests struggled to cope with celibacy, and should be able to marry and have children, BBC News reports.
Although O`Brien, who is also the leader of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, said that issues like abortion and euthanasia can never be accepted by the Church, he added that it would within the reach of the new Pope to consider whether the Roman Catholic Church should change its stance on other issues, which were not of ‘divine origin’, like marriage.
According to O`Brien, who is the Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, Jesus Christ did not say whether priests should remain celibate or get married, which made the issue ‘non-divine’.
The cardinal, who himself is unmarried, said that he had never given a thought to his celibacy as he had been busy with his church duties, and added that during his youth, being celibate was a part of being a priest.
O`Brien further said that it is necessary for priests to marry if they wish to, as many of them have found it difficult to be celibate as they lived out their priesthood, and have felt the need of a companion and a family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’