British MP urges Queen to boycott Lanka Commonwealth summit
Colombo: A UK politician on Friday said he would write to Queen Elizabeth II urging her not to attend the Commonwealth summit to be held here later this year, to protest the delay in the trial of alleged murderers of a British man in Sri Lanka in 2011.
Simon Danczuk, Member of Parliament from Rochdale in northwestern England, was addressing reporters in Colombo on Saturday.
One of Danczuk`s constituents Khuram Sheikh from Rochdale was killed in a brawl in a hotel in Sri Lanka on Christmas eve of December 2011.
Sheikh, an expert in prosthetic limbs working in Gaza and his Russian girlfriend were holidaying in the southern resort of Tangalle when they were attacked by a powerful ruling party politician and his gang.
The gang murdered Sheikh while his companion was raped.
The local politician is currently on bail having been charged for murder.
Danczuk said he was appalled by the lack of progress in granting justice to Sheikh`s family.
Danczuk is on a two-day visit to Colombo to meet Sri Lankan government officials to push for justice in Sheikh`s murder.
"This case has attracted a lot of attention in the UK and people are asking why the wheels of justice have ground to a halt. Why have the suspects all been released on bail and no trial date been set?", the British MP asked.
Danczuk`s letter to the Queen would come in the background of international pressure piling on the 54 member nations of the Commonwealth to compel Sri Lanka to show progress on its human rights record at the end of its civil war in 2009.
Canada, a leading Commonwealth nation has already threatened to skip the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Colombo in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi