British spying allegations `nightmare out of Hollywood`: Germany
Berlin: Germany`s Justice Minister on Saturday said that allegations of British intelligence services tapping world phone calls and Internet traffic were a "nightmare out of Hollywood."
If confirmed, the allegations released by a US ex-intelligence technician who also exposed secret US data gathering programmes, would be a "catastrophe," said Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger.
"The allegations against Great Britain sound like a nightmare out of Hollywood," she said.
"European institutions should shed light on this immediately."
The Guardian on Saturday published claims that Britain`s Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) has started processing vast amounts of personal information-including Facebook posts, emails, Internet histories and phone calls-and is sharing it with its US partner the National Security Agency (NSA).
The Guardian reported that GCHQ was able to tap into and store data for up to 30 days, under an operation codenamed Tempora.
The newspaper got the information from Ed Snowden, a former US intelligence technician who has also exposed secret US data gathering.
The latest claims sparked a fresh outcry from privacy campaigners and surfaced as Washington filed criminal charges against 30-year-old Snowden and asked Hong Kong-where he has fled to-to detain him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof