Brussels diamond heist: Robbers disguised as cops
Brussels: The machine-gun-toting men who stole $50 million worth of diamonds from a Brink`s armoured truck at Brussels international airport were wearing police uniforms, Belgian prosecutors said Tuesday.
The assailants pulled off the robbery in a scant five minutes and sped away in two vehicles fitted with sirens, the Brussels district attorney`s office told the media.
The robbers pointed their guns at the Brink`s driver, as well as at the pilots and copilots on the Swiss airliner onto which the gems were to be transferred and flown to Zurich.
One of the vehicles used in the robbery was found totally burned-out later in Zellick, northwest of Brussels.
The stolen shipment that came by road from Antwerp included rough and cut diamonds worth some $50 million, but also "other objects of value", Caroline de Wolf, spokeswoman for Antwerp World Diamond Center, told EFE.
The total value of the haul, between diamonds and other items in the shipment, amounted to some 350 million euros ($468.35 million), Belgium`s VRT television said Tuesday.
The AWDC said it was "very concerned about what happened", which it believes "raises many questions about airport security in Brussels", through which diamonds worth between $150 million and $200 million are shipped every day, De Wolf said.
Antwerp is the world hub for the diamond trade, both for jewelry and for industrial purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them