Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt
Brussels: Bulgarian Ambassador in Yemen, Boris Genadiev Borisov, had a miraculous escape when armed men intercepted his car and tried to kidnap him at gunpoint in Yemeni capital Sana`a, Xinhua reported.
The European Union (EU) on Sunday condemned the abduction attempt against the Bulgarian Ambassador, saying this indicated the "fragile security situation" in Yemen.
A statement by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said the organisation condemned the attack that injured Borisov on Saturday, and expressed "sincere solidarity" with the ambassador and his country.
Ashton urged the Yemeni authorities to do their utmost to investigate the incident.
Borisov was with his wife driving through a crowded street in Sana`a. He was slightly injured, but the kidnappers managed to escape, an interior ministry official told Xinhua.
The official blamed the attempt on a cell affiliated with the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing