Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt
Brussels: Bulgarian Ambassador in Yemen, Boris Genadiev Borisov, had a miraculous escape when armed men intercepted his car and tried to kidnap him at gunpoint in Yemeni capital Sana`a, Xinhua reported.
The European Union (EU) on Sunday condemned the abduction attempt against the Bulgarian Ambassador, saying this indicated the "fragile security situation" in Yemen.
A statement by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said the organisation condemned the attack that injured Borisov on Saturday, and expressed "sincere solidarity" with the ambassador and his country.
Ashton urged the Yemeni authorities to do their utmost to investigate the incident.
Borisov was with his wife driving through a crowded street in Sana`a. He was slightly injured, but the kidnappers managed to escape, an interior ministry official told Xinhua.
The official blamed the attempt on a cell affiliated with the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah