Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt
Brussels: Bulgarian Ambassador in Yemen, Boris Genadiev Borisov, had a miraculous escape when armed men intercepted his car and tried to kidnap him at gunpoint in Yemeni capital Sana`a, Xinhua reported.
The European Union (EU) on Sunday condemned the abduction attempt against the Bulgarian Ambassador, saying this indicated the "fragile security situation" in Yemen.
A statement by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said the organisation condemned the attack that injured Borisov on Saturday, and expressed "sincere solidarity" with the ambassador and his country.
Ashton urged the Yemeni authorities to do their utmost to investigate the incident.
Borisov was with his wife driving through a crowded street in Sana`a. He was slightly injured, but the kidnappers managed to escape, an interior ministry official told Xinhua.
The official blamed the attempt on a cell affiliated with the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test