Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt
Brussels: Bulgarian Ambassador in Yemen, Boris Genadiev Borisov, had a miraculous escape when armed men intercepted his car and tried to kidnap him at gunpoint in Yemeni capital Sana`a, Xinhua reported.
The European Union (EU) on Sunday condemned the abduction attempt against the Bulgarian Ambassador, saying this indicated the "fragile security situation" in Yemen.
A statement by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said the organisation condemned the attack that injured Borisov on Saturday, and expressed "sincere solidarity" with the ambassador and his country.
Ashton urged the Yemeni authorities to do their utmost to investigate the incident.
Borisov was with his wife driving through a crowded street in Sana`a. He was slightly injured, but the kidnappers managed to escape, an interior ministry official told Xinhua.
The official blamed the attempt on a cell affiliated with the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani