Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt
Brussels: Bulgarian Ambassador in Yemen, Boris Genadiev Borisov, had a miraculous escape when armed men intercepted his car and tried to kidnap him at gunpoint in Yemeni capital Sana`a, Xinhua reported.
The European Union (EU) on Sunday condemned the abduction attempt against the Bulgarian Ambassador, saying this indicated the "fragile security situation" in Yemen.
A statement by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said the organisation condemned the attack that injured Borisov on Saturday, and expressed "sincere solidarity" with the ambassador and his country.
Ashton urged the Yemeni authorities to do their utmost to investigate the incident.
Borisov was with his wife driving through a crowded street in Sana`a. He was slightly injured, but the kidnappers managed to escape, an interior ministry official told Xinhua.
The official blamed the attempt on a cell affiliated with the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!