Chavez recounts `pleasant conversation` with Jimmy Carter
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said he had a "pleasant conversation" on the phone with former US president Jimmy Carter and that he thanked him for describing the Andean nation`s electoral process as "the best in the world".
Chavez said that the conversation, requested by the Carter Center, lasted between 30 and 40 minutes and that they analyzed "different topics, personal matters, remembrances" and Venezuela`s Oct 7 general elections.
"He said one true thing, because he had seen it for himself, that the Venezuelan electoral system is, well, we say it is one of the best in the world, he said the best in the world," Chavez recalled, adding that he thanked Carter "in the name of all Venezuela".
Venezuela uses touch-screen voting, but with a feature that stores votes both electronically and in paper ballots, making it easier to conduct a review or recount.
On Aug 20 the Carter Center, founded by the former US president, declined an invitation from the National Electoral Council of Venezuela to "accompany" the presidential elections of Oct 7.
"The concept of accompaniment differs from observation in that the purpose of accompaniment is to invite foreign individuals to witness the day of the election with a largely symbolic political presence, while the purpose of observation is to invite international organizations to comprehensively assess an electoral process," the center said in a statement.
Venezuelans will elect their president for the 2013-19 period from a group of five candidates headed by Chavez and main challenger Henrique Capriles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players