Chavez recovers from respiratory infection
Mexico City: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has recovered from a respiratory infection he contracted after undergoing cancer surgery in Cuba, a minister said.
"Fortyfive days after the complicated surgery, the patient recovers normally, his serious respiratory infection has been overcome. Though certain respiratory inefficiency persists, he is receiving the required treatment," Information Minister Ernesto Villegas said on state TV.
He said that despite his illness, the 58-year-old Chavez continues to "play active role" in the country`s politics.
The minister criticised the media for publishing what he called "fake photos" of Chavez in Cuba.
Venezuelan Vice President Nicolas Maduro said upon his arrival from Cuba Friday that Chavez was feeling much better than he has done since undergoing surgery.
Chavez was smiling, optimistic, and believes the treatment will work.
Chavez, who has ruled Venezuela for 13 years, has had four operations for cancer and four courses of chemotherapy in Cuba and Venezuela within a year.
His fourth operation, to remove cancerous tissue, took place in Cuba Dec 11.
His inauguration was slated for Jan 11, but he was unable to attend due to health reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach