Chavez recovers from respiratory infection
Mexico City: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has recovered from a respiratory infection he contracted after undergoing cancer surgery in Cuba, a minister said.
"Fortyfive days after the complicated surgery, the patient recovers normally, his serious respiratory infection has been overcome. Though certain respiratory inefficiency persists, he is receiving the required treatment," Information Minister Ernesto Villegas said on state TV.
He said that despite his illness, the 58-year-old Chavez continues to "play active role" in the country`s politics.
The minister criticised the media for publishing what he called "fake photos" of Chavez in Cuba.
Venezuelan Vice President Nicolas Maduro said upon his arrival from Cuba Friday that Chavez was feeling much better than he has done since undergoing surgery.
Chavez was smiling, optimistic, and believes the treatment will work.
Chavez, who has ruled Venezuela for 13 years, has had four operations for cancer and four courses of chemotherapy in Cuba and Venezuela within a year.
His fourth operation, to remove cancerous tissue, took place in Cuba Dec 11.
His inauguration was slated for Jan 11, but he was unable to attend due to health reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH