Chimney over Sistine Chapel to spot black or white smoke ahead of conclave
Washington: Vatican authorities have installed the chimney on the roof of the Sistine Chapel which will release the black or white smoke that signifies whether a new pope has been elected.
The chimney is the first publicly visible sign of the preparations going on inside the chapel.
According to CNN, the Roman Catholic cardinals will gather on Tuesday for the start of the conclave, the secret papal election.
Footage released by the Vatican has shown the installation of two stoves inside the chapel.
One is used to burn the cardinals` ballots after they are cast and the other to send up the smoke signal.
If no one has won, a chemical is added to make the smoke black.
White smoke means a new pope has been chosen.
Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said that if the smoke is released after dark, a spotlight would be trained on the chimney so that it can still be seen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted