China airport bomber expresses regret
Beijing: The wheelchair-bound Chinese man, who had set off a home-made bomb at Beijing Airport last month to highlight alleged police atrocities, has expressed regret and sought forgiveness.
Ji Zhongxing, 33, is being held in a detention centre in Chaoyang district after being arrested for detonating the bomb at the airport on July 21.
The man severely injured his hand while setting off the explosive device and suffered a perforated ear drum. His left hand was subsequently amputated.
Ji said in his blog that he resorted to the extreme act as he was paralysed in a beating by police.
State-run Global Times quoted Ji`s lawyer, Liu Xiaoyuan, as saying Ji told him to convey that his intention was not to hurt anyone but only to highlight his plight. The bomb was made of explosive powders from firecrackers.
Ji faces up to 10 years in jail for causing an explosion. Far from evoking anger, his action evoked sympathy among public.
Ji feels guilty about his actions and has said he set off the bomb by accident, Liu said.
Ji would also like to apologise for causing public panic and hurting a police officer.
Ji recalled that he passed the device from his right hand to his left before accidentally detonating it. Ji also warned people at airport before the explosion, Liu said.
Ji came to Beijing from his hometown in Shandong Province and distributed flyers at the airport from his wheelchair in a bid to attract attention to his cause.
He suffered lower limb paralysis in 2005, allegedly the result of a beating by several security officers in Guangdong Province.
He has petitioned for compensation since then but has had no success.
Commenting on Ji`s action Xu Xin, a professor with the Beijing Institute of Technology, told Legal Daily that Ji might receive lighter punishment in consideration of his warning beforehand, his unintentional motive, and small actual damage.
Subsequently a pop singer was arrested for threatening to blow up public buildings in Beijing to vent her anger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail