China asks US to lift sanctions against defence firm
Beijing: The US Monday imposed sanctions on a Chinese defence firm, prompting a strong reaction from China which sought immediate lifting of the punitive action.
Beijing-based defence contractor Poly Technologies Inc, a subsidiary of state-owned giant China Poly Group Corporation, said that it has strictly observed China`s laws and regulations as well as relative international laws and treaties.
The United States imposed the sanctions according to its domestic laws, an act that has seriously violated norms governing international relations and harmed China`s interests, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said here today.
"China is strongly dissatisfied with and firmly opposed to the act, and it has lodged a solemn representation to the US side," spokesperson Hua Chunying said in a statement.
"We urge the United States to immediately correct the wrongdoing, lift the groundless sanctions on this company and its individuals, and stop actions that will hurt China`s interests and Sino-US relations," the spokesperson said.
China is committed to upholding the international non-proliferation regime, according to Hua, who added that the country has in place a set of export control laws and measures that fit in with international standards and with strict and effective law enforcement.
Instead of sanction threats, the two sides should base their relationship on equality and mutual benefit, and meet each other halfway when making efforts to advance pragmatic cooperation on non-proliferation, Hua urged.
The firm, which deals with missiles and other military hardware, has also voiced strong objection to the sanctions and urged immediate corrections.
In a statement released right after the sanctions were announced today, the firm said that it is absolutely groundless and unreasonable that the United States imposed the sanctions according to its own laws or regulations.
"We have never helped any countries or regions develop any banned weapons, nor have we exported or promised to export weapons or technologies to any countries or regions that are under United Nations Security Council Resolutions Sanctions," the firm said.
"We hereby demand the US side to respect the facts and immediately lift the sanctions," the firm said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof