China asserts right over Huangyan island
Phnom Penh: China has reasserted its sovereignty over the disputed island of Huangyan in South China Sea.
China disapproves of any attempt at the East Asia Summit to highlight territorial and maritime disputes, Wen said at the summit in Cambodian capital Phnom Penh Tuesday.
In response to the mentioning of the island at the summit, Wen said Huangyan is an integral part of Chinese territory and that its sovereignty is indisputable.
China`s actions to defend the island`s sovereignty are legitimate, and its stance on the issue is clear and consistent, China Daily Wednesday quoted him as saying.
The Philippines has also claimed its sovereignty over the island, which lies between the Macclesfield Bank and Luzon island of the Philippines.
China, as a continental and maritime country, attaches importance to the peace, stability, free navigation and security in the South China Sea, Wen added.
China and countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) agreed on important principles and reached consensus when signing the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea 10 years ago, Wen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video