China asserts right over Huangyan island
Phnom Penh: China has reasserted its sovereignty over the disputed island of Huangyan in South China Sea.
China disapproves of any attempt at the East Asia Summit to highlight territorial and maritime disputes, Wen said at the summit in Cambodian capital Phnom Penh Tuesday.
In response to the mentioning of the island at the summit, Wen said Huangyan is an integral part of Chinese territory and that its sovereignty is indisputable.
China`s actions to defend the island`s sovereignty are legitimate, and its stance on the issue is clear and consistent, China Daily Wednesday quoted him as saying.
The Philippines has also claimed its sovereignty over the island, which lies between the Macclesfield Bank and Luzon island of the Philippines.
China, as a continental and maritime country, attaches importance to the peace, stability, free navigation and security in the South China Sea, Wen added.
China and countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) agreed on important principles and reached consensus when signing the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea 10 years ago, Wen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy