China, Bangladesh pledge to build economic corridor
Beijing: China and Bangladesh Tuesday vowed to make joint efforts to build an economic corridor linking Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar.
Chinese President Xi Jinping met Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wajed here Tuesday and both pledged to make joint efforts to build an economic corridor linking Bangladesh, China, India, and Myanmar.
"Bangladesh is an important country along the Maritime Silk Road," Xinhua quoted Xi as saying during the meeting, noting that China welcomes the Bangladeshi side`s participation in the construction of the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, while pushing ahead with the economic corridor.
The moves will help to build a community of shared interests between China and Bangladesh, and benefit the people of the two countries and the region at large, the Chinese leader said.
Echoing Xi`s proposal on the belt and maritime route, Wajed said the four-nation economic corridor is of great significance for the development of South Asia and that her country will play an active role in its construction.
The two sides, a joint statement said, recognised that the development of the corridor would constitute an important vehicle to complement various regional connectivity initiatives and provide an important avenue for strengthening cooperation and sustainable development.
China and Bangladesh agreed to remain actively engaged towards the development of the corridor along with other countries, and expressed their hope of realising mutually beneficial and result-oriented cooperation among the four countries, said the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers